2019 OAB Annual Convention Overview Thursday-Friday, April 4-5 at the Skirvin Hotel in Oklahoma City.
1. Attendance was 711 different persons registered for one or more events.
- 240 for Thursday Student Day luncheon with Keynote speaker Governor Kevin Stitt. (Set a record)
- 100 for Thursday buffet dinner with musical artist James Slater.
- 288 for Friday luncheon with induction of Al Eschbach into the OAB Hall of Fame. Coach Barry Switzer was the presenter. (Set a record)
- 312 for Friday dinner for OAB Achievement awards and induction of Vance Harrison into OAB Hall of Fame. (Set a record)
2. Twenty-two different sessions and meals including seven primarily focused on broadcast advertising sales.
3. First year to introduce Online Registration. System seemed to work very well for registrants. We are learning how to tweak the system for greater efficiency next year.
4. SBE Engineering conference was suspended for this year due to conflict with NAB Show in Las Vegas. Exhibitors and session speakers were committed to the NAB event. This reduced our total numbers by about 50-60 people.
As we conclude our successful annual convention I want to share with you my plans moving forward. After twelve-and-a-half years as the President of the OAB, I informed the OAB Board of Directors that I will retire in April of 2020 after our convention in Tulsa at the River Spirit Casino. We felt that sufficient notice should be given about the change in management and both the Board and myself felt that this gave both parties plenty of time to plan accordingly.
It has been an honor to represent the broadcasters of Oklahoma and I count myself as a very lucky guy to have such a joyful and meaningful job. So…here’s to a great year ahead for everyone and a thank you for all the support we have received from the broadcasters.